Thursday, July 4, 2013

CLEOPATRA AND THE GRAPES OF WRATH



    As I grew older, I became more aware that money was scarce. I
accepted this as fact and observed that money was scarce for everyfamily in town. There was no such thing as "instant gratification" in the Depression years. I understood this very well because in 1933, at age eight, I asked for a bicycle for my birthday. I didn't get one so I asked for a bicycle for Christmas. Christmas came and there was no
bicycle by the tree.
I had developed a mantra by my ninth birthday. I knew exactly what I wanted, "a twenty-six-inch blue and white Elgin bike with balloon tires, a basket on the handlebars and a light." My ninth birthday passed with no bike in sight. My mantra was included in my prayers at night. When wishing opportunities came up, such as splitting a turkey wishbone or finding a four leaf clover or the "first star I see tonight," I repeated my description starting with, "a twenty-six-inch blue and white Elgin ... "
In November ofl934, my sister, Mildred, planned a magnificent surprise birthday party for my mother. Mildred was twenty-three years old and had a job as a secretary. All the aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors and special friends were invited. The house was packed. There must have been one hundred people milling around, laughing and talking. My sister was very busy seeing that everyone was having a good time.
    My cousin, Shirley, and I looked for something to do to amuse
ourselves. The grown up conversations held no interest for us. I
looked at the dining room table. It was decorated beautifully and
Mom's best dishes were being set on the sideboard in preparation for a buffet. In the center of the table was a great tray of fruit. Polished apples gleamed in the candle light, and perfect rosy pears peeked out from artistically placed grapes. Suddenly, I had an idea.
"I know! Let's play Cleopatra!'' "How do you play that?" Shirley asked. "I'll show you. Just follow me," and I picked up the fruit-laden tray and carried it to my parent's bedroom, thinking they won't need it for a while, and I'll return it when the buffet starts. Handing Shirley the grapes, I threw myself on the bed and declared that I was Cleopatra and Shirley was my slave. "All you have to do is wave that paper fan at me and drop grapes in my mouth, one at a time."
    Shirley was a sweet girl, very acquiescent; and, because she was younger than me, it was easy to get her to follow my instructions. She dutifully dropped the grapes in my mouth and waved the fan while I, Cleopatra on her barge, enjoyed the luxury. This went on for quite a while until Shirley was tired of her role as slave. "When's it going to be my turn to be Cleopatra?"
I dismissed this request with an impatient wave of my hand. "Just keep feeding me the grapes. I'll tell you when it's your turn."
"But the grapes are a 1m ost gone.
"Well then," I ordered, "Give me one of those pears."
Eventually, Shirley had been compliant long enough. She dropped
6 HoLES IN MY ShoEs the fruit on the bed and went in search of my mother. "Alice won't let me have a turn to be Cleopatra!" My mother and Mildred came into the bedroom to see what Shirley was complaining about. Mildred took one look at the skeleton grape vine and the fruit all over the bed and gave me a look I will never forget. She turned and stomped out of the room and my mother shook her head at me as she gathered what was left of the centerpiece.
The next morning my mother told me, "Well, you've really done it this time! Your sister has been saving her money all year to buy you a bicycle for Christmas, but after your stunt last night you can just forget about it."
So, Christmas of 1934 came and went, and no bike was by the
Christmas tree. I really didn't expect to see one. July 1935 came. I
made the same wish as I blew out my birthday candles but my blue
and white Elgin didn't materialize.
    By Christmas of 1935, I had given up all hope of ever getting a bicycle. I descended the stairs on Christmas morning and there, in front of the Christmas tree, stood my twenty-six-inch blue and white Elgin bike with balloon tires, a basket on the handlebars and a light .. The Christmas lights reflected on the fenders. My mother and father, sister and brother were smiling at me, and I screamed and jumped with joy. My dreams, my prayers, my wishes had come true. I dressed quickly and took my bike out in the melting snow to show my friends. Such a long wait and such utter happiness!
    The long wait for a bicycle was not in retribution for the Cleopatra debacle as I found out many years later. The money that had been saved for my bike was used for unexpected family needs and it took another year to save enough for my gift.


0 comments:

Post a Comment